Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Have you seen Mr. Tumnis?

My friend Facebooked me to do a Narnia themed cake and asked if I've ever seen the Narnia movies or read the books to which my reply was "Does Mr. Tumnis have hooves for feet?" I love the Lion the With And The Wardrobe. If you've never read the books you won't truly appreciate this cake. But nevertheless check out it's detail.
C.S. Lewis is the author and a genius at that. Pick up ANY of his literature, google his quotes. Believe me it will not disappoint.
The little birthday boy's name is Nathan so I tried to mimic the Narnia font. I used gold dust to get that shimmer. Traditionally you should use vodka with the highest amount of alcohol to paint on shimmers and dust. I didn't have vodka on hand (since of I don't drink) so I went to my local cake store and asked if they had any. She gave me that "what a lush" look. I explained that I wanted to paint on the gold dust and use vodka so it would evaporate quickly, not for jello shots. She said I could use lemon extract. So I did and it worked!
Finally the wardrobe. Two doors that lead to a completely different world, Narnia. The lamp post where Mr. Tumnis made his debut. Loves it! Did I mention I did a book report on this book 3 times throughout my academic childhood? I'm not sure if it was love for the book or laziness.

No comments:

Post a Comment